World News

Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank attack

Erdoğan discusses escalation at al-Aqsa with Israeli, Palestinian presidents in phone call

He jumped the fence of the settlement before breaking into the house, where he stabbed the Israelis during a Sabbath dinner, the army official said.

The army says the attacker killed a man and two of his children, while a woman was wounded.

A photo released by the military showed a kitchen floor covered with blood. The weapons used in the attack had been brought into the mosque the night before, reportedly aided by officials with the Wakf, the Isalmic Trust responsible for the day-to-day administration of the site.

Rivlin called last week's attack "intolerable".

Israel's internal security service, Shin Bet, said the barriers should be removed, while Jerusalem police insisted they stay. Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum announced that Israelis were attacking the al-Aksa and preventing Muslims from praying there. It said he was shot, but his condition was not initially known.

The slain Palestinian has been identified as Mohammad Mahmoud Sharaf, 18.

Abbas said contacts with Israel would be suspended on "all levels". Rioters threw rocks and Molotov Cocktails at security forces. Palestinians have since taken to the streets, clashing daily with Israeli security forces. Troops fired live rounds, rubber bullets and tear gas. A third victim died later in Ramallah. Turkey and Egypt also condemned the violence. "The unity, togetherness and most sacred values of believers are targeted more and more every day in the land of the prophets", the sermon said.

It is upon us as Arab citizens of Israel to condemn all acts of terror without doubting or blinking, in a loud and clear voice, as well as fighting incitement and those within our society who call for violence, and most importantly separating politics from religion.

It did not elaborate but said it was in addition to hundreds of soldiers in place Friday over tensions at a major Jerusalem shrine. However, Israel has refused to back down, saying the detectors match security measures at other holy sites around the world. Thousands of Muslims prayed in the streets near the shrine rather than pass through the detectors.

For five consecutive days, Muslim rioters have engaged in violent clashes targeting Israeli security forces in Jerusalem's Old City near a main entrance to the Temple Mount.

The latest escalation was triggered by metal detectors, installed by Israel at the shrine after a deadly Palestinian attack there.

After peaceful prayers, clashes broke out in several areas of Jerusalem and across the West Bank.

She says no one was hurt, but the Palestinian Red Crescent says it treated 22 injured. Israeli police said five officers were wounded.

The negotiator added that all of the mosques in Jerusalem will be closed on Friday in an effort to "direct Palestinians toward al-Aqsa", which he hopes will draw thousands of people.

It lies in east Jerusalem, seized by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War and later annexed in a move never recognised by the global community. The most prominent of the Israeli activists who have been lobbying for the right for Jews to pray on the Temple Mount - now only Muslims may do so by order of the Waqf - is American-born Yehuda Glick.

Under the post-1967 arrangements, Muslims administer the compound.

In recent years, religious opinion has shifted, and growing numbers of Jews are visiting the compound. He stresses that it is vital to respect the "status quo" and maintain the Temple Mount under the custodianship of King Abdullah of Jordan. It was the first time that Muslim worshipers were not able to enter since 1969. The mood in the Old City was tense, they said. "If we resist them, they will stop".

For Muslims, the site is the third holiest after Mecca and Medina, and called the Noble Sanctuary. It is the holiest site in Judaism and the nearby Western Wall, a remnant of one of the temples, is the holiest place where Jews can pray.

Israel and Jordan have been in talks to defuse tensions. "This is not a political matter; it is a professional security issue". Israeli Government forbade under 50-year-old Palestinians to enter the Al-Aqsa Mosque.